Giant Leaps From Little Steps
I have been known to say “knowing doesn’t make a difference” when talking about what to do when making changes in my life. For example, I would say “I want to lose weight”, I know there are a billizion ways to lose weight and I’m not using any of them! Every day someone is sharing their weight loss method that worked for them and if I used it I would lose weight too! Yes, I believe this is true and knowing doesn’t make a difference! I could lose the weight (I don’t have any medical reason why I can’t) and I choose not too. Why? Because there is something else at play here that lives deep within my sub-conscious that stops me and I am on a quest to find it. Anytime I feel blocked or held back in my life the culprit is a limiting belief I hold in my sub-conscious mind.
When you consider that we have more than 20,000 thoughts coursing through our brains every minute and that we are unaware of most of them, it’s possible there are thoughts/beliefs among them that are mucking up our lives. As I read the “The Biology of Belief” by Dr Bruce Lipton I am more aware of these beliefs and how they influence my actions and inactions.
Knowing THIS does make a difference!
I now have the piece of life’s puzzle that I was missing! Now I have what I need to change the list of beliefs I have been listening to most of my life, rewriting them in a way that empowers me. Is it possible to change the words in my belief statements and create a new believable belief statement? Could it be this simple? The answer is YES and it’s highly effective when you combine the knowledge shared by Dr Lipton and the PSYCH-K process created by Rob Williams.
Here is a list of limiting beliefs I identified for myself in a previous post. I will use them to show the transformational process I have gone through to eliminate these from my thoughts completely. I mean completely! I look at these statements and I no longer have any feelings about them, you have to understand, these words would cause tears to well up in my eyes just reading them and now, nothing at all! I don’t believe them anymore and all it took is putting each one through the PSYCH-K process! I was able to completely transform this list within an hour using the technique of identifying, rewriting, balancing and muscle testing to confirm the results. Here’s the step by step process I went through:
- Identify limiting belief as I believe it to be
- Reword the belief into a positive statement using the following criteria (provided by Rob Williams) state in first person (I), use present tense (now, not later), use positive language, keep it short and emotionally meaningful to you
- Muscle test the statement, balance and lock it in place (there is a whole technique within here that is best done with someone who has taken the course or take the course yourself if you want to do on your own)
It sounds simple, doesn’t it? It was and it wasn’t without its challenging parts. I was challenged to reword these belief statements using the criteria. I found myself using words like I wish, I want, will, none of which are present tense. I also found my statements were too long and when I read them, they sounded good but I wasn’t really connected to them. This was the longest part of the process for me and I believe it will get easier the more I practice. For those of you reading this and may have these particular beliefs yourself, here are the words I used to rewrite them into empowering beliefs for myself. Feel free to use them if they resonate with you too.
- Original belief: I believe that when I ask for help no-one will be there for me
- New belief: I feel love and support from others like a warm blanket on a cold day
- Original belief: I believe that no matter what I do things will never change for me
- New belief: Every step I take changes my view of life
- Original belief: I believe that happiness is possible I just don’t know what will make me happy
- New belief: I recognize happy moments in my life every day, both big and small
- Old belief: I believe, despite multiple attempts to change it, I am not where I want to be and I will never get there
- New belief: I am exactly where I need to be and anywhere I want to go is reachable from here
When I read these words a smile has replaced the tears and the peacefulness I feel inside confirms the transformation for me.
It takes little steps to transform your limiting beliefs and the promise of giant leaps is real. Yes, it is that simple and it can be for you too.
What limiting beliefs hold you back in your life?